Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Castor Oil For Injuries

I first learned about the wonderful (and non-yucky) uses for castor oil through a book that has become a cherished companion to me for going on 10 years now.  It's called Gentle Healing for Baby and Child by Andrea Candee.   This book sits patiently on my shelf, waiting for the next time I lovingly pull it down, cradle it in my hands and seek it's assistance for the current emergency.  Okay, maybe that's a little over dramatic.  Just suffice it to say, I LOVE this book!  Anyways, during an emergency some years ago, I opened it and discovered by new best friend, castor oil.  I have used it for just about anything you can imagine and plan to tell you about every one, okay, maybe 3, but that is why this is part 1.  Too much to put in one post.  Today is my first example.  One of my goat kids was running around, being a kid and acting crazy, I was watching from the window, when all of a sudden, he went to jump off the top of the picnic table and his foot (hoof?) got caught in between the slats and he jumped but his leg did not follow.  I threw my sandwich down on the counter and ran out the door, mentally imagining how I was going to nurse this goat with a broken leg.  Fortunately my son was nearby and already had him on the ground by the time I got out the door.  He stood up but wasn't putting any pressure on the leg.  My son felt around but Nat didn't act like anything really hurt, he just wouldn't put the leg down.  Here comes today's star, castor oil.  I mixed up a little with some lavender essential oil, and some St. John's wort tincture.  According to my book, you are supposed to use St. John's oil, but I didn't have any so tried the tincture.  I went out, rubbed and rubbed and rubbed some more on his leg, all the way up on the inside.  Within, an hour, he was back to normal, putting pressure on the leg and running around.  He may have done that anyway, but part 2 and 3 will prove without a doubt that castor oil works!

How could someone so innocent looking cause so much trouble?!?

I get mine at Iherb.com (use code CAN094 for $5 off your first order).  I use the Home Health Brand.  The 32 oz bottle is the best deal and then you can just make smaller size bottles of it mixed with your favorite oil blends.  I'll tell you my special recipe in part 3 of the castor oil posts.  You can also get some food grade castor oil at Walmart if you are in a pinch and need it now.

Coming soon...Castor Oil vs. the Aural Hematoma (huh?  I didn't know what it was either. I'll explain.)

No comments: